Thank you, new filmmakers! We received a record number of submissions for MNFF7.
The submission window for our 8th Annual Festival will open on Monday, January 3, 2022.
Celebrating 1st- and 2nd-time filmmakers from around the world.
Middlebury New Filmmakers Festival is all about showcasing the outstanding work of first and second time filmmakers. It’s our sole focus and it’s what we do exceptionally well. Our goal is to create a peer festival, a level playing field, a place to be discovered and talked about in a joyous environment. The event takes place in scenic Middlebury, Vermont in late August each year, with our 7th Annual event coming up in-person this August 25-29, 2021. We want you to feel at home here in Middlebury as we celebrate the dynamic and emerging new voices in independent cinema.
- The work must be either your first or second film, whether it’s a feature OR a short. For example, if you have already made three short films, but you would like to submit either your first or second feature, then go right ahead. Or, if you have made a couple of features, but recently completed your first or second short film, then by all means submit the short. We are open to any genre, be it narrative, documentary, animation, experimental and VR.
- Feature films should be at least 40 minutes long. Shorts can range in length from 3 minutes to 40 minutes, although, if a 40 minute short is accepted, it may possibly be classified as a feature. MNFF will also consider web series if the entire series does not exceed 60 minutes.
- The work must have been completed after March 1, 2019, i.e., roughly within the past two years. We would like your work to be current.
- In the event that your film is selected, we would love for your film to premiere at MNFF, but it is fine with us if you have shown your work elsewhere, i.e., at another festival or for a short theatrical run. If the film is already out commercially as a DVD/Blu-Ray, up on a transactional platform like iTunes or Vudu, on an SVOD platform like Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime, a VOD platform like Comcast Xfinity or on a broadcast or cable network, e.g., PBS or HBO or Showtime, we may still consider the work, but it does complicate the selection process.
- MNFF typically does not pay screening fees to filmmakers whose work is accepted from the submission pool.
- We are not accepting works-in-progress at MNFF.
A selection of MNFF’s best features will receive valuable additional screenings in various venues around Vermont in the February following the Festival, as part of our MNFF Vermont Tour. The Middlebury New Filmmakers Festival asks that our selected filmmakers allow us to screen their work at these venues as we create greater visibility for their films in the state of Vermont. Compensation for these screenings will be paid by the Festival directly to the filmmakers, and travel and lodging arrangements are covered as well should the participating filmmaker wish to attend particular screenings. As we emerge from the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, MNFF plans to once again roll out its Vermont Tour in February 2022.
Awards & Prizes
In addition to Awards for Best Feature Documentary, Best Short Documentary, Best Feature Narrative, Best Short Narrative, Audience Award Feature and Audience Award Short, MNFF offers an exceptional array of prizes for both feature film and short film creators.
MNFF supports feature film creators with four cash prizes of $1,000 each and one valued at $500, all to be awarded at the 7th Annual Middlebury New Filmmakers Festival.
All of these cash prizes represent an ongoing effort by MNFF to expand its core mission by financially supporting the work of distinguished first and second time filmmakers.
MNFF provides a remarkable opportunity for a feature filmmaker to participate in a cross-cultural exchange:
MNFF also offers a highly coveted award exclusively for short film creators:
Submission Windows & Fees*
- Early Bird: Window closed
January 4 – January 22, 2021. Submission fees – $45/feature and $30/short
- Regular: Window closed
January 23 – April 9, 2021. Submission fees – $55/feature and $40/short
- Late: Window closed
April 10 – May 7, 2021. Submission fees – $60/feature and $45/short
- Extended: Window closed
May 8 – May 28, 2021. Submission fees – $65/feature and $50/short
Notification of Acceptance
We anticipate that all submitting filmmakers will be informed of their MNFF7 acceptance status on or before July 9, 2021.
How to Submit
The Middlebury New Filmmakers Festival is working exclusively with FilmFreeway for film submissions. Secure uploading and online screening will be available on FilmFreeway for all submissions to MNFF. Please note that we will NOT be accepting physical copies of films for screening and review.